Easy lemon garlic baked codfish: Succulent codfish flavored with lemon, garlic, and a simple but delicious spice mix. Cooked in the oven for just 10-12 minutes, this is the perfect quick and easy light lunch or dinner.
EASY GARLIC BUTTER BAKED COD
I love cooking fish for my family and friends. It is healthy, low-fat, and with so many kinds to choose from and it can be cooked in lots of different ways.
Sometimes I like to use tasty salmon in a bold, creamy sauce in my coconut curry fish. Another of my favorites is to cook robust, meaty catfish in a rich, hearty catfish stew, and sometimes I want to make something nice and simple that looks great and comes together quickly. This brings me to this easy lemon garlic-baked codfish recipe that is ready in less than 20 minutes from start to finish!
If you’re looking for a delicious fish recipe that’s easy to make and hard to mess up, this garlic and lemon butter cod recipe will be right up your alley. Tender, flaky fish pairs perfectly with the buttery sauce to create a flavorful meal you can throw together in about 20 minutes. If you love simple, delicious food, this codfish recipe will be your new favorite!
DELICATE FLAVOR, TENDER, AND JUICY
Baking cod in garlic and butter and a bit of seasoning is an excellent way to prepare this mild, moist fish without overwhelming its delicate flavor.
All it needs is an uncomplicated but punchy marinade of oil, fresh garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, and herbs. A whole lemon or two to drizzle over the fish once it’s cooked, and you have the perfect, juicy go-to fish dish that everyone will love.
Baking codfish in the oven is a wonderful way to cook it. The high heat and little baking time mean that the fish will cook through and still remain tender and flaky.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO BAKE COD ISH IN THE OVEN?
An average size codfish fillet takes only 10-12 minutes to cook in a 450°F oven.
You can check that the fish is properly cooked after 10 minutes by gently pulling the flakes apart so you can see the middle of the fillet. If it is translucent, put it back in the oven for a further 2 minutes, then check again.
Remember that it will continue to cook after you have taken it out of the oven, so a little translucency right in the very center is not a bad thing.
LET’S TALK ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS FOR THE MARINADE
Cod is a delicate, white fish that serves as a fabulous blank canvas for any flavor profile you want to use. For this easy lemon garlic baked codfish recipe you will need:
- Garlic and Onion. First, you mix a generous amount of fresh, finely minced garlic with butter and slather it over the fish.
- Spice mix. Next, sprinkle the spice mix (an exciting warm and earthy blend of paprika, cayenne pepper, and dried herbs) over the fish.
- Bake: As it bakes, the garlic will mellow and sweeten and the seasoning will meld together.
- Lemon: Squeeze a generus amout of lemon over the fish while still very hot to round up the savory and tangy flavor of this lemon-baked codfish.
WHAT FISH CAN YOU USE INSTEAD OF COD FISH?
This recipe calls for a fish that is elegant and sturdy enough to stand up to the flavors. That is why codfish works best. However, if you cannot get hold of codfish, suitable substitutes would be other flaky white fish such as haddock, pollock, and bass.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WIYH THIS EASY LEMON GARLIC BUTTER COD?
This delicate but flavourful dish tastes divine and looks amazing. Try it with my refreshing black-eyed pea salad for a nutritious light lunch. Or, for a more substantial evening meal or dinner party, you could serve it with bell pepper, tomato, and eggplant stew, and homemade garlic bread knots.
More fish recipes from my archives.
- Use a paper towel to pat the fish dry on both sides especially if you are using thawed frozen fish.
- You can adjust the heat in the spice rub to suit your taste. I only used a small amount, just ¼ of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, to bring a gentle warmth to the dish. But if you are feeding children who don’t tolerate heat, you can leave it out.
- Use your hands to massage the flavorings and oil or butter into the fish until it is evenly coated.
- Don’t forget to line your pan with parchment paper to prevent the codfish from sticking to the pan and falling apart when you come to serve it.
- 2 lbs codfish about 6 pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons onion finely minced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt or add to taste
- ¼ to ⅓ teaspoon black pepper or add to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or add to taste
- 1 lemon
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Line the baking pan with a parchment paper
Pat cod fillets dry with paper towels and place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the onion and garlic over medium heat;. About a minute.
Brush the butter-onion-garlic mixture over the fish making sure the mixture is well distributed over each fish.
Mix the remaining seasoning together in a bowl and sprinkle over the fish
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
Squeeze the lemon over the fish immediatl a (while still very hot) and serve. Enjoy!
Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 213mg | Potassium: 670mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 299IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg